Sunday, October 15, 2006

Finished plying the polworth laceweight

Woo hoo! I finally finished plying the polworth laceweight and it is beautiful!

This is 1500 yards of yummy grey yarn. It's a hefty 6.5 ounce skein - I was barely able to ply the whole thing onto my Louet S-10 bobbin.

The yarn is nice, but I don't think it's the best use of the polworth. This grist doesn't show off the softness of the wool as much as I would like.

I can put it against my neck and it's not itchy, but the cloudlike softness of the carded fiber is not evident.

I will probably knit this into a lacy shawl. I haven't knit any lace other than the feather and fan pattern, so this may be the opportunity to pull out some of the stitch patterns I have been dreaming over and see if I can find one with an easy repeat to memorize.

I hate reading charts or patterns. Much better if I can find a pattern I can remember.

2 comments:

Rissa said...

You did a great job spinning this. I can't wait to see it knitted up!

Hannah said...

Lovely yarn! I can't wait to see it knitted up. One of the things about knitting most lace is that after the first several repeats, you've usually got the pattern memorized even if you are not trying--at least the pattern per row. Sometimes I have to look at the chart for the row's pattern for a sec to remind me: ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, k1, repeat the whole thing again and again until the end of the row.

You'll love it! And what beautiful yarn to knit with.